Posted: March 4, 2016 by Karol Scott, Communications Director
Serving is at the core of who we are as a church. In fact, it’s so important that it’s part of our church mission – to be a catalyst for Life Change, Life Growth and Life Purpose! Life Purpose is all about doing what God created us to do, which is to serve others! Reach people in need, love the world around you, support others and provide a sense of hope in a world that’s sometimes hard to handle.
But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and truth. – 1 John 3:17
Top Ten Ways You Can Serve Today:
1. Help your family. (Romans 12:10) Make dinner, vacuum, do some laundry, …there are lots of opportunities! It’s easy to forget that the ones we need to serve the most are often the ones closest to us. Try it today by asking, “How can I help you?”
2. Volunteer at church. (Peter 4:10-11) Everybody gets to participate. We all get to be part of what God is doing! How great is that? There are many serving teams at The Village to give you an opportunity to serve where you’re interested and gifted. Use what God has uniquely given to you to serve Him and the needs of others. So many ministries come together to make attending The Village a great experience, and our church would not be possible without the help of MANY volunteers who serve. Where can you jump in?
3. Donate stuff. (Matthew 25:46) Most of us have more than we need. Take an inventory and clear out the clutter to donate to someone that needs help!
4. Send a note to thank or encourage someone. (1 Thessalonians 5:11) Take a minute to think about someone you can thank or someone that may be going through a difficult time. A short email, text or card can make a huge difference!
5. Serve with Family Care Meal Ministry. (Acts 20:35) People can go through a difficult time due to a birth, surgery, illness, etc. and may need help. This support ministry is a way to show compassion and provide help by cooking or purchasing a meal for them.
6. Feed the hungry at our food trucks. (John 12:26) We host food trucks starting in the spring through the fall, which feed families in need in the Minooka/Channahon community. Hand out food, carry baskets, break down boxes, there is a lot to do for all ages!
7. Give a compliment. (1 Timothy 6:18) Most people like to be recognized for their accomplishments. Be generous with your words and give a compliment!
8. Listen. (James 1:19) Take time to sit with your kids, a friend, your spouse, or a neighbor and just listen to them. Really listen without distraction. Show them they are important!
9. Babysit for free. (Hebrews 13:16) Do you know a single mom that could use some time for herself or to get errands done? Or maybe a young couple that could use a date night? This is an easy way to serve that can provide a much needed break!
10. Commit a random act of kindness. (Proverbs 11:24-25) Be on the lookout throughout your day for something nice you can do for someone. It doesn’t have to be something big. Help a mom unload her groceries into her car and return her shopping cart, pay for someone’s meal at the drive through, shovel snow or cut grass, buy someone flowers…so many opportunities!
The thing is to just ask God to show you opportunities. Keep your eyes, ears and heart open and be ready to jump in whenever He whispers to you on a way that you can serve!