Serve others – that is at the core of who we are as a church. In fact, it’s so important that it’s part of our church mission – to be a catalyst for Life Change, Life Growth and Life Purpose!
Life Purpose is all about doing what God created you to do, which is to serve and help others! Reach people in need, love the world around you, support others and provide a sense of hope in a world that’s sometimes hard to handle.
“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and truth.” 1 John 3:17
Top Ten Ways You Can Serve Today:
1. Help your family. (Romans 12:10) Make dinner, vacuum, do laundry, …there are lots of opportunities! It’s easy to forget that the ones we need to serve the most are often the ones closest to us. Try it today by asking, “How can I help you?”
2. Volunteer at church. (Peter 4:10-11) Everybody gets to participate, and we all get to be part of what God is doing! How great is that? There are many serving teams at The Village to give you an opportunity to serve where you’re interested and gifted. Use what God has uniquely given to you to serve Him and the needs of others. So many ministries come together to make The Village a great experience, and our church would not be possible without the help of MANY volunteers. Where can you jump in?
3. Donate stuff. (Matthew 25:46) Most of us have more than we need, so take an inventory and clear out the clutter. Then donate to someone that needs help!
4. Send a note to thank or encourage someone. (1 Thessalonians 5:11) Take a minute to think about someone you can thank or someone that may be going through a difficult time. Then write a short email, text or send a card because you can make a huge difference!
5. Provide A Meal . (Acts 20:35) People go through difficult times due to a birth, surgery, illness, etc. Because of this, they may need help. This is a way to show compassion and provide help by cooking or purchasing a meal for them.
6. Feed families at our mobile food pantries (John 12:26) We host these mobile food pantries starting in the spring through the fall in Minooka, Seneca and Braidwood / Coal City. These trucks provide food, bread, dairy, meats, veggies and more for families in need in the communities. Examples of what you can do include unpacking the food from the truck and setting it on tables, handing out food, carrying baskets, and breaking down boxes. There is a lot to do and for all ages. It’s a great way to serve with the family!
7. Give a compliment. (1 Timothy 6:18) Most people like to be recognized for their accomplishments. Be generous with your words and give a compliment. Look for opportunities every day.
8. Listen. (James 1:19) Take time to sit with your kids, a friend, your spouse, or a neighbor and just listen to them. Really listen without distraction and show them they are important. Spending time with someone can be such a great gift.
9. Babysit for free. (Hebrews 13:16) Do you know a single mom that could use some time for herself or to get errands done? Or maybe a young couple that could use a date night? If you do, this is an easy way to serve that can provide a much needed break.
10. Commit a random act of kindness. (Proverbs 11:24-25) Be on the lookout throughout your day for something nice you can do for someone. It doesn’t have to be something big. For example, help a mom unload her groceries into her car and return her shopping cart, or pay for someone’s meal at the drive through, shovel snow, cut grass, pump gas, buy someone flowers…think creatively.
To summarize, the thing is to just ask God to show you opportunities. Next, keep your eyes, ears and heart open. Then, be ready to jump in whenever He whispers to you on a way that you can serve!